Roasted Beet Salad ~ serves 2
Are you hungry for a super yummy, vegetarian salad that is packed with healthy nutrients? If your answer is yes, I got just the right salad for you. It’s easy to make, light and yet filling. The warm, soft, buttery and sweet beets pair with the light salty taste of the feta cheese, the warm and creamy beans melt in your mouth, the greens burst with freshness, crunchiness and tasty tahini dressing, the earthy roasted walnuts balance the zesty sprouts…
Let’s start with the delicious dressing…
Dressing (adapted from Angela Liddon)
- 3-4 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons tahini
- Ground salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Few drops vanilla
- 1 bunch Kale, Chard or about 4 ounces of Greens (Spring Mix, Baby Spinach or Arugula)
- about 4 medium sized organic red or golden beets
- Coconut Oil or EVOO
- Salt, Pepper
- Lemon Juice
- 1 cup pre-cooked beans or 1 can of beans
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil or EVOO + Spices for the beans, I used curry powder, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- handful of sprouts (optional)
- about 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Start by washing your beets and either leave them whole (cooking time will be longer) or cut them into little chunks. If you leave them whole place them in your oven proof bowl and pour some olive oil over the beets. If you decide to cut them I suggest to add about 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil and stir well until all pieces are covered. Both methods assure super soft and sweet beets. Bake beets for about 1 hour.
- For the salad dressing blend all ingredients in a bowl. If the consistency of your dressings turns out too dry add some more EVVO, water or lemon juice. Set aside.
- Rinse your greens and dry them in your salad spinner or with paper towels, then chop them and place them in a big salad bowl. Juice 1/2 lemon and add to green, stir well and then add freshly ground salt and pepper, stir again. Place greens flat in your plates.
- Cook beans or use canned beans. Place beans in oven proof bowl, stir in melted coconut oil or olive oil and then add your preferred spices to your beans. Stir well and set aside. After 45 minutes of roasting your beets, add beans to the oven.
- Meanwhile start roasting your raw walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Rinse the sprouts and dry them well.
- When beets and beans are done, place them on the prepared salad greens, add the cheese on top (so it slightly melts), add the dressing, walnuts and sprouts on top and serve while warm.
- Bon Appetit!
Version 2 will be posted soon… stay tuned…